In 1842, František Gaberl founded the so-called "American" mill for grinding grain, powered by a steam engine. In 1845, the mill was closed down and spinning machines from Leeds, England were installed in its buildings - while retaining the steam drive - thus creating a flax spinning mill - the first of its kind in the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy. Production was discontinued in 1989 after more than 150 years of operation.
The distinct conceptual difference of this factory from all other textile mills is due to its location and layout due to its mill origin. It stands by the forest, on a hill with beautiful views, not in a valley by a river or a main road in the middle of a city. Everything inside the complex is subject to a certain geometric symmetry, with water tanks and park arrangements, which evokes a kind of micro-city, with natural "squares", sidewalks and zones, all of which creates a pleasantly soothing "Sunday" atmosphere. One feels good here, the factory is literally destined for a new role – to provide people with a calm, cultivated and inspiring background, full of positive sensory and emotional sensations.
As part of the "National Brownfield Regeneration Strategy of the Czech Republic", the factory was included among the most important industrial brownfields in the Králové Hradek region.