The cleanest air in the Czech Republic, well-developed road and mountain biking, hiking, ski areas, cross-country trails, golf, a dam, historical, technical and cultural monuments = an excellent destination for relaxation and active leisure time in the wonderful nature of the Krkonoše Mountains, the Rýchory Forest, the Vraní Mountains, with lots of forests, meadows and paths.
The Eastern Gate of the Krkonoše Mountains...
THE CITY OF ZACLÉŘ
A charming historic town with excellent conditions for year-round recreation, with a long-term focus on tourism. It was founded in the 13th century and is one of the oldest permanently inhabited areas in the Trutnov region. Žacléř and its four integral parts – Bobr, Prkenný Důl, Černá Voda and Rýchory – form a unique formation of different natural and geopolitical environments, with a total elevation of 550 m at the lowest and highest point, the highest being Rýchory old forest 1033 m above sea level.
In 2003, the historic core of the city was declared a monument zone. There are many technical, historical and cultural monuments, the City Museum with 4 permanent exhibitions (history of the city, personalities, mining, ethnography) and thematic exhibitions.
For the last 25 years, this lively, well-managed town has been oriented towards year-round recreation and care for the quality of life of its residents. It is undergoing systematic reconstruction (squares, real estate, roads, trails, services), has good transport accessibility, beautiful nature and many options for leisure activities, see. Tourist information center. There is a golf course and a dam near the city, within driving distance of the airport, zoo, etc. The city organizes regular concerts of jazz and classical music, art exhibitions, days of folk crafts or bicycle races. It is a great place for relaxation and active rest in every season.
The backbone 71 km long Krkonoše highway runs through the entire Krkonoše mountains from Harrachov to Žacléř. It is then followed by more than 500 km of local ski trails and circuits. Cross-country trails with extraordinary views of the Krkonoše Mountains panorama. There are two ski areas available. More about sports here.
Region Hradec Králové
District of Trutnov
First written report in 1334
Population 3 200
Number of municipalities 3
Average age 39,2
Cadastral area 2 182 ha
Altitude of the city 612 m above sea level
Altitude of the ski area 830 m a.s.l.
Natural snow cover 50 - 70 cm
Snow in the year 120 days
HISTORY OF THE TOWN
The first written mention of the settlement below the Scheczler (Žacléř) castle, which was called Bornfloss (At the spring), dates from 1352. It disappeared after the Hussite raids in 1421 – 1426. The town built later was named Bernstadt or Berenstadt (Bernart's town, bear city). The bear in the city's coat of arms may have its origins in this name. Schatzlar, the name of the castle and manor, was gradually transferred to the town and became official in the second half of the 19th century.
Already in the 18th century and especially in the 19th century the first brick townhouses were built, which gradually replaced wooden buildings. They were inns, shops, school No. 181 - today's municipal office. In the years 1912 – 1914, the district court building No. 10, today the Žacléř Municipal Museum, was built on the site of the old town hall. Rychorské Square with adjacent streets is the historical core of the city.
Rýchorské Square is dominated by the Marian Column, the work of the Baroque sculptor Jiří František Pacák. It dates from the period of the Jesuits and was completed in 1725. At the top of the column is a statue of the Virgin Mary, in the central part are depicted St. Dominic, St. Bernard and St. Jerome. In the foreground towards the east side is a statue of St. Ignatius of Loyola, founder of the Jesuit order. At house No. 116 there is a statue of St. Florian, the patron saint of firefighters, by an unknown artist.
On 2 July 1766, Emperor Joseph II feasted in the U Koruny inn, on the site of which stands the building of the former printing house No. 119. This monarch visited Žacléř twice, and in his honor a stone stele with his portrait, a sculpture by the Viennese sculptor Georg Leisk, was placed on the square in 1908. As time went on, opinions changed and different recognized personalities took turns on the stone stele. In 1923, it replaced the statue of Joseph II. portrait of the poet Friedrich Schiller, after II. World War II, Schiller was replaced by Julius Fučík, but he soon had to make way for J. A. Comenius. In 2005, the statue of Joseph II returned to its original place.
During the Silesian Wars in 1778, King Friedrich II of Prussia also stayed in Žacléř, where he completed his memoir of the poet Voltaire - Eloge de Voltaire. In 1900, young Josef Čapek, who attended a German school, stayed in the former inn U Německého dom No. 118.